To Mr. or Ms. Dissatisfied II


Jane: "Which leads me to this thought. Maybe my "white picket fence, American dream" plans aren't what God has in store for me?"

Me to Jane: It's probably not. You don't have these passions for Costa Rica just because you randomly went there once and liked the food. Your passions and desires aren't random. It's not by chance - none of it. So I would venture to say that no, God likely does not have a white picket fence in mind for you. And I LOVE that for you!!!

HOWEVER - if I can add this too... I've realized, with me at least, that God takes the passions He’s given me through seasons. Two years ago I could not get out of the U.S. fast enough. Now? I can't get BACK there fast enough. I won't pretend to know why God does what He does. All I know is from my own experience with Him and I know that He changes my heart on things all the time - but ALWAYS according to what He has planned for me next.

I'll give you one example on that: When I moved here, I wasn't against a relationship but I definitely was not looking for one. And certainly not one with a native. Although Alonso and I were very good friends and he honored me and respected me so well - I was NOT interested in settling down. At that point I was fresh off the race, twenty-six years old young, and more independent. In my mind, I had a lot of life to live and wasn't ready to be slowed down by having to sacrifice and compromise and all those things you have to do when you get married.

I started praying about it. Asking married women around me questions like, 'Exactly HOW MUCH do you have to sacrifice in marriage? Cause I can be pretty selfish." Within a weekend, God had completely changed my heart and I saw Alonso through different lenses. The really cool thing about the power of God is that things can change in an INSTANT. One second I was walking down the street of Heredia, CR without a marital prospect at all and the next second I was being introduced to the man who would become my husband. It's that fast. And it will be that fast for you too! (By it* I mean, the thing God uses to change your life in that instant. Be it a mate, a move, a whatever).

Jane: "I've often felt like God forgot about me. But what if it's really that He just has something different in mind?”

Me to Jane: YES! Exactly. I can’t tell you how many times God has told me that He had something different for me. That what He had planned for me, no one else would do. That the people who’s lives I envy, He has something else for them. That they would never do the things He was calling me to do and vise versa. That He was setting me APART. Apart from everything I knew and was confortable with. APART from everything I thought my life would be. Because He had things ready for me that were beyond anything I could ever dream up. Which leads me to the last part of what I want to say:

Jane: “How cool is it to know that my future is in the hands of the person who created the whole universe? I have complete faith that He is in control. Even when I feel alone. I'm so glad that He didn't let me pick my own plan. I know without a shadow of a doubt that I would have picked wrong. I am so excited to see what is in store for me in the years to come. I know that it will be better than any dream I could have imagined.”

Me to Jane: I have literally said (and prayed) those exact words. “Thank you God for being in control so we don’t have to be. Because I would mess it up every time.” This can be a very lonely time if you allow it to be. To an extent God needs to de-attach you and disconnect you from things you will need to let go of. And to that same extent He needs to get you alone so He can speak directly to your heart without the noise of the world (friends, family, distractions, etc). But at the same time, I will say, surround yourself with people who are in your corner. Everyone won’t understand, and many will think you’re crazy. But surround yourself with those who CONSTANTLY, (and I do mean constantly) will speak LIFE over you. Those who believe in the vision God has given you and tell you to go for it. It will be important for you to be around people who are as radical and like-minded as you.

And the last piece of advice I want to give you is this: Just do it.

If we sit around in cruise control waiting for everything to fall perfectly into our laps, we’ll be waiting forever. Now, what I’m NOT saying is that God won’t line it all up for you. We both know God is previous. He goes before us and prepares everything for us. But it requires action on our part. And the only way to really get in the water is to dive in headfirst. If you’re finding yourself in the place I was in, itching for more, then go find more. No one else is going to do it for you so it’s time to act. Don’t waste any more time sitting around wondering, “What is God’s will for my life?” --- that will just slow you down. Ask God simple, yes or no questions and follow what He says. “God, do you want me to move to Costa Rica?” – if He says yes, then move. “God, do you want me to start this orphanage?” – No. “Ok, God do you want me to start this school?” No. “Ok, God I feel like you’re calling me to this city. Do you want me to go there?” Yes. Then go.

You know what I mean? One step at a time and GO for IT!

I love you and I want to see you thrive in what God is calling you to. Use me for a soundboard or a prayer warrior or at times, and example of what NOT to do, haha. We all mess it up at some point, right?

So Readers, does this conversation from Jane and I resonate with you at all?
Are you dissatisfied with chasing a lifestyle that won’t fulfill you? Do you feel God has called you specifically to Corporate America for reasons of ministry? 

Someone once said, “Where there’s people, there’s ministry.” So at the end of the day, it’s simple:

Listen. Then respond accordingly.


There’s a reason we don’t all have the same call.

No comments:

Post a Comment