Ashlonso's Going to Panama!!


Tonight we received some really awesome news and confirmations that I couldn't wait one more little second to share with you. Here's the thing: From April 13 to April 20 in Central and South America its Semana Santa - probably better known to you as Holy Week. Because Catholicism is the predominant religion down here, the whole latin world shuts down and everyone flocks to the beach by the herds. This year, there just so happens to be another holiday on the Friday before Holy Week, giving me 11 days off from school. 

Can I get a HALLELUJER


So what will I do with all my glorious free time, you ask? I've contemplated several options but my favorite idea was to lay in my bed for a week straight watching movies and eating cake icing and brownie mix. Because I care so much at least a little about my figure, and the fact that I might get bed sores, I've decided to go another route. 


And by another route I mean bus route


That's right, people. #Ashlonso is going to San Felix, PANAMA!! 




We are more than excited to partner with this really cool ministry there called ICJesus. They are near the Costa Rica/Panama boarder and they work with .... well, like many missionaries ... they do a number of things. But one thing we're SUPER STOKED about is that they work in local villages with deaf children and Panamanian Sign. 


Ooooo weeee!! I can't wait to get my hands back on some Pana-babies!! 


Another thing Danny and Heather (the missionary contacts) do is work in conjunction with a Pastor and Missionary named Alex in supporting 12 local indigenous churches. They equip them with the Word of God and material resources in order for the local pastors to better minister to their people and reach unreached people.  

 
We've been asking God to show us what to do with this week and how to spend it serving Him better. Yay for heavenly answers, amen? I cannot tell you how excited we are about this mission trip. 

Another really cool thing about this opportunity: Last month Alonso and I got really close to the Passport team who was serving at our school. The girls helped Alonso propose to me, remember? Yeah ... those girls. Well, we get to see and spend time with them while we're in Panama! How great is this? 



Now I know you're just dying to know how you can help us get there ... weren't you? ;) So I'll tell you. 

1. We need all sorts of prayer. 

(A) Boarder crossing is never fun, easy, or safe. So we need protection for    traveling from here to there. 
(B) We are trusting that the Lord has gone before us and prepared hearts and minds to receive our message. 
( C ) Prayers of provision. This mission trip will, obviously, take money. So we're believing God to provide exactly what we need to make this happen. 
(D) Prayers for the Holy Spirit to lead us in every conversation and interaction - that HE would be glorified above us. 

2. You can help us financially.

We've estimated this trip to cost us a total of about $480. We're rounding high because we want to be able to bless the heck out of some people while we're there so we're believing God for His provision. 

So this is how it breaks down:

Transportation costs: $180
Lodging costs: $100 
Food costs: $100 
Misc. costs (boarder taxes, offering to the churches we're serving, etc): $100 

If you feel like you want to help us out (in ANY way) please send me an email at ashliblackwell@gmail.com or feel free to Facebook message me. 

Can't wait to blog about our time there and show off some pictures of ultra-cute- kiddos! 

Catch ya on the other side, 
Ashli 





No comments:

Post a Comment