How I Made a No-Sew Sink Skirt in 5 Easy Steps


Since it's Saturday and I don't have to go to school, I decided to be productive and do very important things like sleep late, cook a big breakfast that I didn't eat all of, and waste a lot of time online looking at wedding planning websites. Once I was bored with all of that and decided to shower, I couldn't handle another second of my bathroom not being spotless so I started cleaning it. I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned longer and harder than ever before. I cleaned spots I never even knew existed in my bathroom - only to discover that I have a really, really ugly pedestal sink. Something had to change.

I knew I wanted a sink skirt but I don't have a sewing machine and even if I did, I wouldn't know the first thing about using it. (I'm remembering back to the World Race when, in South Africa, my best-race-friend Amy taught me how to sew and we helped young girls produce more purses to sale. Thanks, Amy!) Regardless, that was like 80 years ago and I remember nothing. So... I needed to find a way to make this bad boy without a Singer.

I googled it up and read several articles but it basically came down to a combination of a few. It was SO SUPER easy but only because I had a hot little assistant helping me through the whole thing. So here we go... this is how it went down.


1. Alonso and I went downtown to the fabric store to choose a material that would match my bathroom.
(Yay for no makeup days!) 



 2. We measured the sink area to know how big we needed the skirt to be. 


Then stretched out our materials on a hard, flat surface. For me, my living room floor. 



3. While down there, we cut the fabric to size and hemmed each side with this little miracle worker ....

(Life saver for a non-semstrist like me!)

4. We stuck our sticky-back velcro (that we bought at a local crafty store) to the edges of the sink and then the other half of it to the skirt. 

(Oh hey there, newly placed engagement ring!! ;) 
5. Finally, we stuck the skirt to the velcro and VUALA! 
My bathroom took a turn for the better. More colorful, more neat, and more hiding plungers and toilet bowl cleaners behind the skirt. Can I get an AMEN for hiding the gross stuff?


So... drumroll please! My first DIY project in Costa Rica presents:

The Final Project 


And it matches perfectly with my presh shower curtain!



What DIY projects are you working on these days? How did you do it? And was it cheap enough for a broke missionary like me to take on? :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment