My 4 Favorite Things About Being Engaged :: Month Three Edition


As of yesterday, its been THREE whole months since Alonso popped the question and I've realized recently that I don't really feel engaged. I supposed I haven't felt engaged since the hype of the proposal faded. I know that I am, duh. I use words like these a lot:

engagement
wedding
fiancé
Pinterest, ha. 

But I don't feel engaged.

It could be because we are cutting through a.lot. of red tape with the government. It could also be because I'm in another country who's engagement and wedding traditions are not like ours. {SIDE NOTE: Let's be honest. Who else in the world makes a fuss over proposals and Pinterest boards the way we do?} Or maybe it's because my mom, sister, and best friends aren't here to relish in the saga with me. Lastly, it could be that I can't exactly plan a wedding from Costa Rica, so much of it is on hold, and also awaiting a pretty little visa approval. 

Regardless, I decided the other day that I. AM. ENGAGED. and, best friends or no best friends, I shall savor the moments I have left to say, "This is my fiancé." So I began to intentionally looks for things about our engagement that excites me. And can I just tell you ... you would not BELIEVE how cool engagement is. Who knew?

So allow me to share with you 4 of my favorite things about being engaged.

Number Uno:  He gets me. 

I can be a hormonal little freak at times. So I probably tell him weekly, "You don't get me!!" in a mess of mascara tears and some other theatrical phrases thrown around. But when I'm not fighting dramatic-woman-syndrome, I totally appreciate the mess out of him. He knows how to handle me when I'm sad. He rejoices with me when I'm excited. But most importantly, he understands the passions inside of me and guess what? He's on board. His heart is as radical as mine and his convictions are as strong. There aren't a whole lot of people out there who truly 'get' us, amen? So when you find the one who does, marry 'em. So reason #1 is that the dude understands me. 

Number Dos: Planning, or not planning. 

I'm a planner. Type-A. List-maker. Organizer. Things have an order and they need to stay in it - if you ask me. Now what I'm about to say may sound crazy to some of you but just go with me for a second. I remember several January's ago when I was with my mom in Walmart. We were shopping for Christmas decorations because they were all on sale from the previous December. I remember telling her, "This is so frustrating! How am I supposed to know whether I should buy one stocking or two? What if I'm married by next Christmas? Or what if I'm not? What if I'm pregnant with a little girl - cause I definitely need that small pink Christmas tree over there!" She thought I was crazy so it's okay if you do too, but see my point. When you're engaged or married, you know who you're planning for and who you're planning it with. And while life will always throw unexpected curveballs, you at least know who you're in the batters box with. OR we can not plan for something like, a weekend or a rainy afternoon, and I still know we'll be together. Either way, it brings a sense of security that no other season in my life has brought. So reason #2 is that I can plan colors for a house, family vacations, Christmas decorations and many other things knowing that my best friend will be there for it all. 


Numero Tres: The ring. 

And I don't mean mine. Girls wear jewelry - it's normal. And even during an engagement, I get to wear a ring. So on the big day, the only thing that will change for me is that I will put on two more rings with the one I have now. Alonso, however, does not get to wear a ring right now and I LOVE THAT. Did you know I love weddings? I have always loved going to and being in weddings. And in my top two favorite things about a wedding is seeing the husband wearing his ring at the reception. Don't ask me why I love it so much because I couldn't tell ya. But something about seeing a man with a new ring on his left hand - it's just cute. It says commitment ... groom ... husband. So reason #3 is that these are the final days that Alonso's left ring-finger will be bare. I get butterflies when I think about what will soon make its home there. 

Numero Cuatro: New initials. 

Call me 'southern' or outdated or whatever. But in the last few years monogrammed items have become overwhelmingly popular in the U.S. Except that in the last two years I have lived in the States for a total of about a month and a half. So I have not been included in this phenomenon. Therefore, when I come home (which is soon) I fully intend on monogramming everything that will sit still ... with my new initials. That's right, I'm going from aBd to aHb and girlfriend, I am real excited about that. {Funny story about this: when I first realized that my initials would change, I could not wait to put them on something so I could see how cute they were together. The first time I saw them I didn't like them. I even said to Alonso, "I thought my new initials would be cuter than that. I don't like them. I don't like my new last name." His response? "Well babe. Not much we can do about that." Classic male.} So reason #4 is that I get to use new initials, which by the way, I've grown to love. 

Now these are obviously light-hearted, fun reasons that I love being engaged. Maybe soon I will write a blog about some more serious reasons. (And if we're really lucky, Alonso will write one for us)!

Stay tuned for some more ramblings and crazy little antics from yours truly!

See ya on the other side,
Ashli <3



No comments:

Post a Comment