? No hablo Espanol ?

If I told you everything about Costa Rica, and believe me - I want to, you would get tired of reading before I got finished typing. In my last post I said, "I won't pretend like its ungodly hot or the poverty here is overwhelming. We are ministering in a part of town that has running water and most of the time it's hot."


I was, however, overwhelmed. I was taken over with exhaustion, pain, and the idea that the family down the street didn't know Jesus. Neither did the lady next to them. "We can't go down that road," my national told me, "we may not make it back out." As my eyes raised up from the street to see which road she was talking about, I saw the groups of guys standing outside their houses. They sold drugs and they were dangerous. So dangerous that the police drove by that road as quickly as they could. As we continued to walk, I felt it. It pulled my back like a magnet. I couldn't stop thinking about it. God wanted me to pray for that street, I was sure of it. I kept walking with my national and tried my best to ignore it because well, in that moment, I wanted to resist the Spirit.
(this is not the exact one. as you can imagine, 
I don't have a picture of that road.)

Boldness is not something we have on our own. Sure, some have more than others and for some of us it comes more natural. But when it comes to the Gospel, there is only one source of boldness and courage: God Almighty. This little boy received Christ, and the next day at school shared the Gospel with 8 of his friends. Ironically enough, his name is Christian. Thank you, Father for reminders like this precious boy.




Our second day at the local church, I saw a lady outside the gate. I knew she cooked for the church so I went out to let her in but she told me she didn't need in. Between my broken Spanish and her slow words, I figured out that she was going to the doctor for her heart. I grabbed a translator because I wanted details. Her heart was 80% bad and she was going for a check-up. "Can I please pray for you," I insisted. "Of course," she smiled. I prayed. Hugo translated. Christina cried out to her Healer. Christina left. I went on about my day. Hugo went back inside. The next day I saw Christina at the church and she had something for me. It was a beautiful heart necklace and she said, "Thank you." When I asked about her heart, she smiled and joy filled her face. She doesn't need to go back to the doctor until a year from now because her heart is fine now. The necklace was to remember her. This is Christina..


As much as I shared in Costa Rica, I learned a whole lot more. My team was mostly made up of people from PA but also Houston, TX, Phoenix, AZ, Chattanooga, TN and then me... Hattiesburg, MS :) I taught Emmie that it's ok to walk barefoot and we have the pictures to prove she lived through it. (She thought she wouldn't.) 



I learned (1) to wrap my own ankle and (2) that God's building of His Kingdom does not stop for a twisted, bruised body part. This is a few days after it happened and it actually looks really good here. There is no way I should have been able to walk around all day on this bad boy but like I said - His Kingdom stops for no one. HE is my healer. HE is my sustainer.



 I added a lot to my Spanish vocabulary.


I learned what it means to serve others selflessly. I also learned that I absolutely cannot do that without the power of God living inside me. 




I learned to love these girls!! 


 I learned to sleep where ever I could find a place to be still. 


I learned to appreciate my comforts back home.





I learned to walk in the rain, arm in arm with the ones who mean the most :)


 I learned what it means to fall in love instantly with a group of people you do not know - but we share one thing: we need Jesus.

 I learned that using a translator effectively is harder than you think.

 I learned to zipline hundreds of feet in the air over God's amazing creation. 



I learned that I can fly/travel alone because I'm never really alone anyway, I now appreciate a meal without rice and beans, and I learned to not flush toilet paper... gross, I know. 


Sometimes, when I think about it long enough, I could cry because I miss them so much. The memories I will forever cherish make my heart smile when I remember them. Thank You Lord for choosing me. Thank You for equipping me. Thank You for allowing me.




To Prayer Warriors and supporters,

I wish I could tell you exactly what your support has done for my recent trip, but words will never suffice. We serve a truly indescribable God and because of you, I was able to experience Him a thousand new ways in Costa Rica. I can say "thank you" every time I see you- but your true reward awaits. During our short stay we saw miracles, healing, restoration, new hope, and salvation all distributed from our Father. We saw people's lives change in an instant right before our very eyes. One thing is for sure: God has NOT forgotten Costa Rica. And because of you and God Almighty's grace, I was allowed to witness it all. 

I will never forget your love,
Ashli  



No comments:

Post a Comment