Peace, Love, and Hermit Crabs

While I promise to tell more about God's work in Costa Rica, tonight I want to share about God's work in Mary's kids. (If you don't know who Mary is, scroll down a few blog posts and you will see her story and pictures.)

I haven't talked about them in several weeks but I haven't seen them any less. I still see them every Friday for Backpack Buddies and my heart still skips a beat every time they run into the classroom screaming my name and jumping into my arms for a huge hug. And by huge I mean death grip. At then end of October, we took them to the Fall Festival at our church where we consumed way too much sugar, rode the mechanical bull like champs, and got our whole faces painted to match our costumes. 

After a long night of games, food, candy and prizes we loaded up to go home. Thank you, Ms. Erin for all your help. You're always a delight! :)


On the way home we learned about love. "Love is patient... love is kind... love does not envy." I asked them questions like, "What are some ways you can show love to you mom?" and "What is patient? What does it mean to be kind?" Although Azah had a harder time recalling the order of the verse, they were very excited to memorize the descriptive words for love. I knew they may never remember those words after that night. But, for at least the cold night in October, they knew what love was. 

         

This afternoon after school, we took the girls home to change clothes before our weekly afternoon outing. Today was going to be an exciting outing because, they didn't know it yet, but KK and I were taking them to the mall to let them pick out the hermit crabs they wanted! Before we could go to the mall we had to wait for KK to get off work so we killed time with Nick, Rickia and Nike at Sweet Peppers. Over a nice big bowl of rotel and chips, this conversation happened:

Me: Azah, do you love me?
Azah: Well, yeeaaahhh.
Me: How much?
Azah: 16 and 100
Me: Really? Wow. Is that a lot?
Azah: Yeah. It's a lot of dollars.

Sweet heaven, can I have her?

Before we revealed the great surprise, which was not so great, the littles needed to use the facilities. While helping Brian do his thang, I heard Azah start to recite something I hadn't heard in while. My heart smiled and I couldn't have been more proud. "Love is patient ... love is kind ... love does not envy. Ms. Ashli, love is kind and patient and not envy. You hear me, Ms. Ashli? Love is kind." Wow. In that moment, God reminded me of the power of words. Speak truth to people. Even if they can't recite it back to you perfectly - even if they don't get the order of the words correct every time - even if they don't want to hear it. Speak it. Speak it boldly, for it is truth. 

We returned to the table where the others were waiting and I began to explain to the girls that I was going to buy them a hermit crab for Christmas. Simultaneously:
Meikayla: "Noooooo! I'm scared of crabs!!"
Azah: " Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" 

Azah, fearless by nature, bolted to the booth near our table to pick our the crab she would take home. After much consideration and almost choosing the blue shell with Batman, she settled on the yellow shell with Spongebob. By the end of the night, however, Meikayla and Brian were sold on the new, low-maintenance pet idea and both wanted one. I suppose we will be making a trip back to get them each one.  

Azah needed a new coat and Gap Kids had a sale so we couldn't resist the magnetic pull. When I tell you these girls are divas, do not underestimate that word. They are not only the opposite of camera shy, but they will pose anywhere, anytime, for anyone. AND they have a model face. Prepare yourself for this. 



Modeling their new boots :)





I told you .... divas. 


When KK and I told them we were out of quarters to ride more toy cars in the mall, Azah thought it would be appropriate to ask the gentlemen next her (who was already funding the rides of his son) to support her spending habit. KK stopped her and she said to him, "Well you said y'all are out of money!!" After all to a child, it's only logical to ask someone else for quarters when you run out yourself. 

It's amazing what God will show you through 5 and 8 year olds. Even Brian who is 2. I'm humbled and honored that He has entrusted these three young vulnerable souls to my teaching. I pray they learn as much from us as we do from them.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment