One Day I Will Love...

Sometimes I don't know how to respond to people.

There are those people who, upon finding out about your faith and/or commitment to ministry, only want to talk to you about religious stuff. They want to appear knowledgeable, but it's transparent. They say things like "I really enjoyed that preacher's sermon the other day" ... and ... "Oh, that old song is about Jesus. You must have heard it" .... assuming you have read/watched/and talked about everything that has anything to do with God/heaven/bible/church.

I do not know how to respond to these people.

Then there are those people who, upon finding out about your faith and/or commitment to ministry, obnoxiously say every worldly thing they can in hopes of possibly getting a reaction. They purposely say things they know you will not agree with, and when you don't acknowledge it, because of course you won't, they repeat it. Even louder the second time. Looking directly at you. Almost as if to say, "I'm saying this again so you will acknowledge me." They might as well just say that anyway.

I do not know how to respond to these people.

If there was one thing I learned this summer, it was love. I didn't teach a bible study on love and I didn't read commentaries on 1 Corinthians 13. I learned through circumstances and God's subtle life lessons.  I learned about loving unconditionally (as much as a human can) - I learned about loving unlovable people - I learned about being loved - I learned about teaching love to others - and I learned not being loved. I learned about showing love and not showing love and expecting love and stubborn love and lovable love and playful love and sacrificial love and a God who became flesh to express love on a cross. Love is not an easy thing to learn. Some may disagree, and that's ok. But love, real love, does not stop. And when people obnoxiously say things to get under your skin... or when someone hurts you... or someone offers a casual comment about a God that you adore... it is hard to love.

So, while all those emotions and circumstances are very real, and our reactions to hurt and pain may sometimes be very justified by flesh... one thing remains true. We are commanded to love. Not suggested, or given the option to.



A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35

I have certainly not perfected love, and I need this reminder often, but as believers we are commanded to live at peace with one another as much as it is under our control. Even if that means me shutting my mouth, or you shutting yours. Even if it means not repeating things that do not edify the church body. Even if it means forgetting about selfish desires and serving others when you think you cannot go any more. I may not be able to control the unlovable person or the one who hurt me. I may not be able to control their words and actions but I can absolutely control mine.


Lord, continue to show me how to love people. Despite the circumstances. Despite their actions or mine. Teach me how to love, that I may show a little bit more of You everyday.


1 comment:

  1. Hey girl,
    Wow i just read your blog today ( thursday). God is amazing. Last nite, the preaching was all about God's love and exactly what you just blogged. thank you. Also i was looking for that verse John 13:34-35! God words is amazing, I pray to have that desire and to "fight for joy". I love you. keep preaching to me girl.

    ReplyDelete