We're Moving!!


Whelp, we’re moving – and it ain’t to the good ole USA. Well, not yet anyway.

See, we really thought we would be married by now. But not only are we still un-hitched, we don’t even have flights booked to Mississippi. And not only that, we still haven’t heard from the government about when we might be able to maybe possibly try to project a future move-out-of-the-country-date.

It’s been a heck of a rollercoaster. If you don’t believe me, just ask my bridesmaids - God love those girls.

Anyway, through a bunch of divine stuff, Alonso connected with an American guy who had just moved down here named Aaron. He, with his wife and two kids, live in another province here in Costa Rica called Cartago. 



It’s about 3 hours from us by public bus. Since we don’t have a car, and it’s a full on trek to get there with public transportation, we don’t get to see them very often but we do try to go over there when we can. We went one weekend to serve at a medical missions camp they were hosting, we spent Thanksgiving with them, they came to Heredia after Christmas to do some tourist stuff with us ... you get the picture. They are cool people and even cooler friends.



So when we went there for New Year’s Eve, we walked onto the property and I casually said to Alonso, “I don’t know why we haven’t already moved here.”

Pause. Rewind. To give you some background, Heredia is where we live, where I taught, and where Alonso worked. But now, I’m not teaching and he isn’t working. It was fine at first because we had the holidays then my sister came and we stayed busy. Plus, we HOPED we would be leaving to the USA right about now. But since we aren’t moving, aren’t working, and aren’t committed to any certain ministry here it’s been kind of weird – emotionally.

And to be honest, it’s been VERY weird – spiritually.

We don’t have community, AT ALL, in Heredia. I didn’t say we don’t have friends here, because we do. But we don’t have community – and there is a difference. So without community and without a ministry and without a “home” church, we’ve been asking God what in the world is He keeping us here for??

We’re spiritually as dry as a desert and we KNOW the great ministry and community opportunities God is preparing for us in the States so WHY are we still here?

Another thing: I was happy to give up my title as “missionary” – define that word, anyway. Not because I didn’t want to tell other people about Jesus anymore. I was just tired of the expectations and connotations that come with that word. I’m always a missionary whether in Costa Rica, on the World Race, or in Mississippi. I don’t need a title to make me share the gospel. And to be honest, so many of the people I have met who call themselves missionaries shouldn’t be allowed to use the word. So if what they “did” for a living made them a missionary, I didn’t want to call myself one.

Not being a titled-missionary = not asking for support.

When I moved home in July and Alonso was still in school, I contacted all of my monthly supporters and updated them on the situation. They ALL said they still wanted to support us through the transition and it was a mighty huge blessing. Then when Alonso finished school and started working again full time, I contacted them again about ending our support. I was working at home and he was working down here and we thought there were other ministries who needed it more than us.

Now fast forward back to today. My support has ended, I’m not at home working anymore, Alonso’s temporary job has ended and we still aren’t on the fast-track to USA like we thought we would be. That means +$$$ à out and NO $ à into our bank accounts. Our spiritual lives have been better, my emotional life could use a boost, and our physical lives are about to gain 50 pounds if we sit at home watching Netflix all day. But wait, we won’t be able to afford Netflix or the WiFi that provides it.

So New Year’s Day, we were about to say our goodbyes and leave our friends home when I, again casually, asked Aaron’s wife Bonnie, “So what does January look like for y’all?” She talked about how busy and overwhelming it was going to be because there are only two days in the month that they won’t have a team there. They are exhausted and need help. So when I offered, “Maybe we could come over sometime and give you guys a hand,” she perked up with an erupted, “YES! Please come! I need you!! We’ll feed you and give you a place to sleep! You’ll be a breath of fresh air! PLEASE!”

We giggled and talked a little bit about logistical things that would need to happen, said goodbye and ended on the note that she would talk to Aaron when they had a free moment and we would talk more.

That night, we received a message from Bonnie saying that they would love to have us, we could move there, eat there, and serve there. We love their family so much and we cannot WAIT to experience community there.

So, once again, the Lord spoils us rotten and takes care of our needs before we know we have them.

The big news? WE ARE MOVING TO CARTAGO!!! Sure, our bills will be less and we will get to be around cool, life-speaking, Jesus-loving, tattooed people like us. But the best part, and the part we are MOST excited about is we get to be a part of a ministry that we truly believe in!! We get to serve next to friends who sacrifice and go without, so that the people they serve can thrive. We get to pray with friends who humble themselves at the goodness of the King. We get to learn from them, sing with them, play with their kids and watch Jesus do a lot of cool stuff in between.

Also? Aaron was in a band in the States so he and Alonso are already planning a gig for the Skate Church. 


And with all of these teams coming in, my southern belle heart is fluttering with hospitality excitement!

Praise God for all the goodies He has in store for this season.


#stillprayingtomovetoUSAsoon

No comments:

Post a Comment